TC v Personal Insurance Company of Canada
Financial Services Commission of Ontario
Personal Insurance Company of Canada Insurer
REASONS FOR DECISION
July 21, 2015, in Hamilton, Ontario with written submissions completed by September 4, 2015.
Daniel Roncari and Sumitra Lagoo for T.C.
Robert H. Rogers and Jessica Rogers for Personal Insurance Company of Canada
The Applicant, T.C., applied for and received statutory accident benefits from Personal Insurance Company of Canada ("Personal"), payable under the Schedule.1 Her claim for accident benefits arose after her son was seriously injured in a motor vehicle accident on October 31, 2012. A dispute arose concerning the applicant's income replacement benefit that the parties were unable to resolve through mediation. The applicant therefore applied for arbitration at the Financial Services Commission of Ontario under the Insurance Act, R.S.O. 1990, c.I.8, as amended.
The issues in this hearing are:
- Do the monies received by the applicant for providing attendant care services to her son constitute post-accident income that is deductible from the amount of her income replacement benefits?
- Is interest payable on overdue benefits?
- Is Personal required to pay a special award?
- Is either party entitled to their expenses of the arbitration?
- The attendant care monies being received by the applicant are not considered post-accident income.
- Interest is payable on overdue benefits.
- Personal is not liable to pay a special award.
- The applicant is entitled to her expenses of the arbitration.
For more details: T.C. v. Personal Insurance Company of Canada
If you or a loved one has been injured, call The Morris Law Group at 905-526-8080 or toll-free at 1-877-464-4466 for a free no obligation consultation with one of our experienced personal injury lawyers. At our law firm we work on a contingency basis, meaning that you don’t pay until your case settles.
Car AccidentsAutomobile accidents are a leading cause of injury and death in Canada. You may be entitled to compensation.Read More
Disability ClaimsGet the settlement from the insurance companies that you deserve.Read More
No Fault Insurance and Accident Benefit ClaimsIn jurisdictions like Ontario that have a “no-fault” insurance system, car accident injury victims can quick...Read More